Saturday, February 24, 2007

KAN'S - San Francisco

KAN’S RESTAURANT is a family owned restaurant that advertises itself as being a Chinatown landmark for over 45 years with a long-standing tradition of fine Chinese dining. The restaurant specializes in Chinese seafood dishes and dim sum. It is located 4 blocks from the Dragon Gates at Bush & Grant in the Chinatown neighborhood of San Francisco, home to the largest Chinese population outside of Asia.

I chose my lunch from their Dim Sum menu. I started off with the Pork Pot Stickers. The pot stickers were the size of golf balls filled with tasty chunks of pork and vegetables. The Roasted Chicken & Vegetables on Skewer was excellent; the very tender chicken was accompanied by onions and carrots. The black bean sauce is an excellent dipping option. The Crispy Prawns with Salt & Pepper were perfectly seasoned, coated in a very light, see-through breading. The whole shrimp is served – a little bit of work, but the reward is so worth it! The Pan Fried Stuffed Mushrooms could not have been better. I can not remember how they were stuffed, but I do know that I would have ordered another plate had I not reached my limit.

My favorite dim sum plate was the Snow Flower Crispy Shrimp Balls. Again, these golf ball size nuggets of delight were filled with chopped shrimp and a very small amount of onion. The balls were very lightly breaded and creatively hidden in a “bird’s nest” of very thin strips of won ton skins. This delight was quickly fried – apparently at a very high temp, there was no trace of oil on my plate. I chose the sweet & sour sauce and the spicy red sauce for dipping. Choose your sauce; you won’t be disappointed.


How can you go to Chinatown and not have some very authentic dim sum? Each dim sum plate was a tasty treat! I always feel it is a good sign when you find “locals” dining in an ethic restaurant. The restaurant is located on the second level. Request a table near the window for added entertainment.

Mmm, Mmm...

$$
++++
✦✦✦

Entrée
$ $10
$$ $20
$$$ $30
$$$$ $40+

Staff
+ Stop bothering me!
++ Anyone here?
+++ Stopped when in the area.
++++ As needed and friendly.
+++++ Invisibly perfect!

Overall
✦ “One visit too many”
✦✦ “Convince me!”
✦✦✦ “I’ll be back”
✦✦✦✦ “Same table next week!”

No comments: