Saturday, December 29, 2007

TOAST WINE BAR & CAFÉ - Minneapolis

Toast Wine Bar & Café is fairly new restaurant (opened 12/06) in the revitalized warehouse district near the Mississippi River. Toast is a cozy, friendly neighborhood café nestled among high-end lofts, condos and apartments. The space has an artsy loft feel with its black walls and the vibrant pieces of hanging art.

My friend, Joel, recently returned to live in Minneapolis; we often look for the “neighborhood gems”. We both agree that Toast is definitely a hidden gem. The focus of Toast’s short menu is the crostinis and pizzas. Their wine list is far more extensive – something for most palates. I began with a delicious Malbec from Argentina. This wonderful medium bodied red paired perfectly with both my starters and dinner.

I needed a quick nibble before I ordered. I started with a small bowl olives; they were nothing extraordinary. Wanting something else, I chose a crostini topped with mound of white beans, sun-dried tomatoes and a hint of garlic. Scrumptious! Just what I needed until my dinner and second glass of Malbec arrived. My recommendation would be to skip the olives and order another of the 8 crostinis on the menu.

This evening I ordered the pizza with wild mushrooms, provolone, leeks and white truffle oil. A bit too much truffle oil, but definitely not enough to keep me from ordering it again. Next time, I will request less oil. The cracker thin crust & the decadently simple toppings were sensational!

Erin, the owner, and the friendly staff made all their dinner guests feel very welcomed.

I can honestly say I do not know the last time I ate more than one small slice of pizza or for that matter - an entire personal sized pizza by myself. Toast has changed my mind. Fantastico!

Mmm, Mmm…

$
++++
✦✦✦

Entrée
$ 10
$$ 20
$$$ 30
$$$$ 40+

Staff
+ Stop bothering me!
++ Anyone here?
+++ Stopped when in the area.
++++ As needed and friendly.
+++++ Invisibly perfect!

Overall
✦ “One visit too many!”
✦✦ “Convince me!”
✦✦✦ “I’ll be back!”
✦✦✦✦ “Same table next week!”

No comments: