Monday, November 10, 2008

ARCHIE'S WOK - Puerto Vallarta

Archie’s Wok can be found in Zona Romantica - the older, charming area of Puerto Vallarta, ½ block up from the wooden pier. The restaurant was started over 20 years by Archie, He was director, John Houston's personal chef for almost 8 years while John was living in PV. Archie's widow, Cindy, and family continue to run the eatery. The space is very basic with the expected sprinkling of bright Chinese colors. The dining space is slightly separated by a short set of steps up to the space at the rear of the restaurant. The kitchen is oddly located behind the host station near the front door and first dining area.

I began with the “Spicy Life Salad” – it was great. The thin slices of mixed vegetables were very fresh & crunchy; the light dressing with the right amount of zing was outstanding. A perfect start to what I expected to be a good meal.

I can not say the same for the Chicken & Almond entrée I ordered for dinner. The abundance of larger-than-necessary chunks of celery and onion left little room for anything else. The 4 tidbits of chicken breast I found buried among the carrot, jicama, onion, mushroom & celery had a steamed texture – certainly not seared in a wok. The light sauce attempting to hold this dish together lacked flavor and failed. I should have ordered another salad & skipped the chicken entrée.


The restaurant was surprisingly busy; it maybe that many of the dinner guests (tourists) find it a “safe” choice. Not in my opinion – there is a plethora of reasonable priced dining options in PV... keeping walking.

Mmm...

$$
++


Entrée
$ 10
$$ 20
$$$ 30
$$$$ 40+

Staff
+ Stop bothering me!
++ Anyone here?
+++ Stopped when in the area.
++++ As needed and friendly.
+++++ Invisibly perfect!

Overall
✦ “One visit too many!”
✦✦ “Convince me!”
✦✦✦ “I’ll be back!”
✦✦✦✦ “Same table next week!”

No comments: