Friday, April 03, 2009

PANCHO VILLA - Minneapolis

Pancho Villa is located on Nicollet Avenue (south end of Eat Street). Pancho Villa has a large basic space with simple decor serving Mexican home-style meals. This is one of the few Mexican restaurants I will visit in Minneapolis; there are several.

My friend, Tim, and I each had a challenging week at work and we were looking for an inexpensive escape. We have been to Pancho Villa on several occasions; the weekends are always much livelier. Perfect solution for putting a wacky week behind us.

We decided to share the starter. We chose shrimp; a dozen grilled, peel ‘n eat arrived with a trio of salsas – pico de gallo (a fresh condiment of tomato, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and jalapeños), guacamole and chipotle. Excellent!

This evening I had the chimichanga. I realize this dish originated in the Southwest US, but it has all the ingredients of a great burrito. The gigantic crispy fried burrito was stuffed with pastor (vertically roasted pork & pineapple), red rice, beans, minced onion, and cilantro. Melted cheese and red sauce garnished the chimichanga. It arrived with mounds of homemade guacamole & pico de gallo resting on shredded lettuce.

The service was friendly and fairly quick. Food is generally incredible – large portions, homemade & cooked to order. As I mentioned earlier, I have eaten here on numerous occasions and find the food and service to be better Monday – Thursday. This very popular restaurant becomes too busy for the kitchen to keep pace with the orders and maintain the quality of food delivered earlier in the week.

Sit with your back to the very large windows - you will feel like you are in "Anywhere", Mexico. This very casual eatery is energetic & authentic. I have never found an empty table on any of my visits. The predominantly Latino crowd will be celebrating birthdays, watching their favorite novella or sports team on the large flat screens or singing karaoke. Alexis is the weekend karaoke diva - full of fun & glam! She has both rooms moving. Good times & good food for all.

Mmm, Mmm…

$
++++
✦✦✦

Entrée
$ 10
$$ 20
$$$ 30
$$$$ 40+

Staff
+ Stop bothering me!
++ Anyone here?
+++ Stopped when in the area.
++++ As needed and friendly.
+++++ Invisibly perfect!

Overall
✦ “One visit too many!”
✦✦ “Convince me!”
✦✦✦ “I’ll be back!”
✦✦✦✦ “Same table next week!”

No comments: