Wednesday, November 15, 2006

PICNIC Restaurant & Bar - Puerto Vallarta

Picnic is owned by the very charming Luis. His indoor/outdoor restaurant is located in Zona Romantica area of Vallarta - the older, charming Puerto Vallarta. Zona Romantica is also referred to as Los Muertos. This downtown area is Vallarta's most active with the southside's beach, restaurants, bars, lounges and beachside cafes. The entire neighborhood has recently been revitalized and the main street, Olas Altas, is now lined with funky-to-fine dining, sidewalk cafes, and great bars and nightclubs.

I found Picnic on my 2nd day in Vallarta. I had lunch at this quaint restaurant 8 out of my 12 days in Puerto Vallarta. Picnic has a nice, short menu. The decision was easy. I had heard from several locals that I should order the roasted chicken meal.

I ordered the chicken on each visit. The delicately roasted chicken falls apart with the touch of a fork. The moist, flavorful chicken is served with 2 sides – perfectly roasted potatoes and the most amazing rice. The rice is lightly flavored with tomatoes, carrots and peas. I often ordered a double side of rice – hold the potatoes. The potatoes are very good, but the rice is fantastic!

Trust me, you will not have room for dessert.

On one of my many visits to this colorful restaurant, I learned that many will telephone ahead guaranteeing a chicken will be waiting for them. Get there early. I learned that this gem often runs out of its signature dish around 4:30p. It is hard to believe the meal (excluding beverage) costs only $7 USD.

Upon your arrival, request a table on the balcony. Picnic is open from 11am – 6pm (closed Sunday) and accepts only cash. Picnic is half way up the stairway on the corner of Olas Altas & Pulpito.

Mmm, Mmm...


$
++++
✦✦✦

Entrée
$ 10
$$ 20
$$$ 30
$$$$ 40+

Staff
+ Stop bothering me!
++ Anyone here?
+++ Stopped when in the area.
++++ As needed and friendly.
+++++ Invisibly perfect!

Overall
✦ “One visit too many”
✦✦ “Convince me!”
✦✦✦ “I’ll be back”
✦✦✦✦ “Same table next week!”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

From your writing, I feel we should meet in PV some day and check out a spot for review. I have been doing this in PV for years and live there part-time. Back in 8 days!!!

Gary
San Francisco, CA./Puerto Vallarta, JAL.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Puerto_Vallarta_OldTown_SouthSide

www.cafepress.com/vallartaguide