Wednesday, October 25, 2006

CHIANG MAI THAI - Minneapolis

Chaing Mai Thai is located in the Uptown area of Minneapolis. I had heard positive comments about the restaurant. This was my first visit; I was surprised to find it at approximately 50% capacity.

For a starter, I had the Wontons filled with cream cheese and jalapeños. The wontons were very tasty but greasier than I would expect. My main course was better. I ordered the “Khao Cadeukadeek”. This was a very tasty combination of charbroiled beef medallions with tomatoes and fried rice. It was served with sides of spicy Sriracha sauce and sweet hoison sauce. The beef was very tender, receiving kudos from both my tablemates and myself.

Sriracha is a moderately hot, bright orange sauce made from sun ripened chilies. The chilies and garlic are ground into a paste. This sauce will easily put extra zing in your burgers, soups, or sauces. Look for it at your favorite market. It is fantastic!

If you choose Chaing Mai Thai, plan on waiting for your food. I recommend ordering a starter. After placing the dinner order, it took 25 minutes for the food to arrive. The service was slow and confusingly unattentive. Go for the food, not the service.

Mmm...


http://www.chiangmaithai.com

$$
+++
✦✦

Entrée
$ 10
$$ 20
$$$ 30
$$$$ 40+

Staff
+ Stop bothering me!
++ Anyone here?
+++ Stopped when in the area.
++++ As needed and friendly.
+++++ Invisibly perfect!

Overall
✦ “One visit too many!”
✦✦ “Convince me!”
✦✦✦ “I’ll be back!”
✦✦✦✦ “Same table next week!”

No comments: