Friday, July 13, 2007

BRAZIL BY THE HILL – San Diego

Brazil by the Hill is a casual, inviting restaurant serving delicious Brazilian food. The menu is short but filled with tempting plates from a country I long to visit. Maybe I will be landing in Rio one day soon…

A priced fixed promotion offered my entire meal for $10 excluding my libations, of course. This is the tastiest meal in Hillcrest for less than $10! Period.

It seemed appropriate on this warm summer evening to order a (OK, 2) Sakerinha; a substitute for the infamous Brazilian Caipirinha (lime with cachca – a liquor similar to vodka). Brazil by the Hill uses mild sake in lieu of vodka; they serve only beer and wine, no hard liquor. Very tropical & very refreshing.

I had a Coxinha as a starter. This pastry puff is stuffed with chicken, tomato, and onion; all finely minced and blended with cream cheese. The puff is rolled in corn meal and deep fried. The chipotle mayo dipping sauce adds a nice bit of heat to this starter. Very tasty but I would prefer the pastry dough to be thinner. My taste buds tell me it should be more about the filling and less about the pastry.

The house salad of chopped romaine lettuce, tomato and celery was topped with a traditional Brazilian dressing of olive oil, fresh lemon juice and salt. Delicious!

Prato Feito (PF) refers to the traditional Brazilian dinner combinations. I had the Prato Feito platter with an 8 ounce grilled chicken breast and the trio of sides found at most Brazilian meals – white rice with a bit of onion, red beans in a thin red sauce with bay leaves, and farofa. The beans and rice should be eaten together.

The key ingredient of all farofas is either yuca (mandioca) or corn flour. The consistency of farofa can range from large grains the size of couscous down to a table salt-sized powder. My farofa resembled the powder. Farofas generally have a very smoky and slightly salty taste – generally used to accentuate the taste of grilled meat and stews. Most Brazilian recipes for this dish require that the raw flour be blended with butter, salt, & bacon, and toasted until golden brown. Farofa is served alongside the main course as either a condiment or as a side dish, as rice is often consumed. I was told to blend it with my rice & sprinkle on my grilled chicken. Yumm!

A Bridagdeiro – a soft ball of Brazilian chocolate and caramel rolled in chocolate sprinkles – was dessert. This sweet sensation is nestled between mounds of whipped cream. A drizzle of tart raspberry puree provides a great contrast to the chocolate and caramel.

The friendly, sexy Brazilian staff adds to a tasty dining out experience. You won’t be disappointed.

Mmm, Mmm...

http://www.brazilbythebay.com/BBTH.html

$$
++++
✦✦✦✦

Entrée
$ 10
$$ 20
$$$ 30
$$$$ 40+

Staff
+ Stop bothering me!
++ Anyone here?
+++ Stopped when in the area.
++++ As needed and friendly.
+++++ Invisibly perfect!

Overall
✦ “One visit too many!”
✦✦ “Convince me!”
✦✦✦ “I’ll be back!”
✦✦✦✦ “Same table next week!”

No comments: