Thursday, July 12, 2007

CREST DINER – San Diego

Crest Diner has been serving delicious home cooking with a twist in the Hillcrest neighborhood since 1982.

My dear friend, Paul, and I stopped at this colorful diner for a late dinner. I had the Cubana Sandwich. My sandwich was served on a grilled Telera roll stuffed with thin slices of pork and ham, garlicy pickles, and jack cheese. Orange juice vinaigrette added a tropical burst of flavor to this fantastic sandwich. I wish I had a side of this vinaigrette as a dipping sauce; it was delicious, but definitely not needed.

Telera rolls or flat bread rolls are approximately 6” round, generally made from whole wheat flour. These rolls are soft inside and out. Telera rolls are perfect for those who do not want a lot of “bread bulk” in the middle of their sandwich, leaving all the more room to stuff with your favorite sandwich ingredients.

The Cubana was served with my choice of homemade potato chips, cottage cheese, fresh cut fries, green salad, jicama cole slaw or red potato salad. I had the green salad; the crispy side salad went perfectly with my sandwich.

On previous visits, I had their delicious breakfasts. Crest Diner is a wonderful option for either beginning or ending your day in San Diego!

Mmm, Mmm…

http://www.crestcafe.net

$
++++
✦✦✦

Entrée
$ 10
$$ 20
$$$ 30
$$$$ 40+

Staff
+ Stop bothering me!
++ Anyone here?
+++ Stopped when in the area.
++++ As needed and friendly.
+++++ Invisibly perfect!

Overall
✦ “One visit too many!”
✦✦ “Convince me!”
✦✦✦ “I’ll be back!”
✦✦✦✦ “Same table next week!”

No comments: