Monday, July 16, 2007

MARIPOSA ICE CREAM – San Diego

Mariposa Ice Cream is not your fancy corporate ice cream shop; it’s better. Mariposa is your friendly neighborhood ice cream shop decorated with thank you’s and accolades from school children, the “famous”, and not-so-famous.

Owners, Anna & Dick, make each batch of their incredible ice cream at 7am each day, ensuring it is ready at opening – sometime around 1pm.

I sampled 5 or 6 flavors before choosing a scoop of the Mexican Chocolate and a scoop of Butter Pecan. I had heard kudos for their Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream. I made this visit especially for a scoop. The Mexican Chocolate ice cream has a very vanilla base loaded with Mexican Chocolate bits. My taste buds led me to believe the ice cream had flecks of vanilla bean. The Butter Pecan was very French vanilla-like, a velvety-smooth sweet base with an abundance of toasted pecan tidbits.

I was told that no eggs are used in their ice creams. Hard to believe; both scoops were extremely rich and smooth. The tubs of ice cream are at the perfect temperature for serving – each scoop had a slight exterior melt. The flavors were well balanced and jumped off my spoon. Luscious!

If you are unable to decide on the which scoops to order, ask one of the other customers in the shop. Everyone is very willing tell you why a particular flavor is their favorite.

I highly recommend that you go for a scoop or 2 of this decadent pleasure and stay for some of Dick’s very entertaining stories. I am addicted!

Mmm, Mmm, Mmm…

http://mariposaicecream.com/

$
++++
✦✦✦

Entrée
$ 10
$$ 20
$$$ 30
$$$$ 40+

Staff
+ Stop bothering me!
++ Anyone here?
+++ Stopped when in the area.
++++ As needed and friendly.
+++++ Invisibly perfect!

Overall
✦ “One visit too many!”
✦✦ “Convince me!”
✦✦✦ “I’ll be back!”
✦✦✦✦ “Same table next week!”

1 comment:

Tom Colvin said...

Suggest you create "categories" on your sidebar for each city you visit. That will make it much easier for people to find what they are looking for. I came here from PV discussion group, but do not have time to scroll back thru the months to find relevant reviews for PV. Otherwise, this is very interesting blog for those of us who eat.