Saturday, June 05, 2010

SNUG HARBOR - Santa Monica

Snug Harbor opened in 1941 on Wilshire Boulevard. This diner has change hands only 3 times since it inception, the last time was in the 90's. This cozy eatery has a soda fountain-like service counter with 10 single seats and 5 booths in the dining room. My friends, Richard & Roberta, and I chose to sit in their small garden area with 5 umbrella-covered tables. Varying shades of green are the colours du jour throughout the relaxing garden and dining room.

Alejandro's huge personality & speedy service was most appreciated. Following his recommendation, I had "Angie's Yum Yum Chicken Breast" sandwich. This sandwich was added to the menu when it last changed hands at the request of the current owner's daughter. This amazing sandwich has a large grilled chicken breast, 1000 Island dressing, pepper jack cheese, sliced tomato, & basil leaves. The slices of sourdough bread holding this sandwich together were buttered, sprinkled with bits of garlic and grilled creating a crunchy crust. A mound of the most incredible, crispy, sweet potato fries completed this delicious lunch plate!

After living in or visiting Santa Monica for 25+ years, I am surprised to have made my first visit to this little neighborhood gem - only 15 blocks from my former residence. Snug Harbor will definitely be a stop on my next visit to Santa Monica.

Bring extra napkins!

Mmm... Mmm...


$

++++

&&&


Entrée

$ 10

$$ 20

$$$ 30

$$$$ 40+

Staff

+ Stop bothering me!

++ Anyone here?

+++ Stopped when in the area.

++++ As needed and friendly.

+++++ Invisibly perfect!

Overall

& “One visit too many!”

&& “Convince me!”

&&& “I’ll be back!”

&&&& “Same table next week!”

No comments: