Saturday, March 10, 2007

PAZZALUNA - St Paul

Pazzaluna is located in downtown St Paul. The area is experiencing a significant revitalizing – new lofts, conversions, & restaurants.

My dinner guests and I were in the mood for Italian. Pazzaluna’s colorful, energetic space is a good stop for a casual evening out with friends. The dining room’s 30 foot high ceilings allows for easy conversation at your table.

I started with the Fritto Misto – lightly fried calamari and thin, fried vegetable strips, pepperoncini peppers, and sweet onions. The plate is drizzled with a roasted garlic aioli and lemon. I would recommend a pass on this starter. The calamari were non-existent (only 4 tiny pieces); the vegetable strips were overcooked, tasting somewhat burnt. The best of this greasy concoction was the fantastic garlic and lemon sauce.

For dinner I selected the Capesante – the very fresh, jumbo scallops were sautéed and served on a bed of luscious pureed cauliflower. The drizzle of hazelnut vinaigrette was delicious. The scallops were accompanied by a side of the freshest tomato confit I’ve eaten in some time – exceptional.

The evening was enjoyable, but we decided to move on and have our desserts elsewhere.

Mmm, Mmm

www.pazzaluna.com

$$$
+
✦✦

Entrée
$ 10
$$ 20
$$$ 30
$$$$ 40+

Staff
+ Stop bothering me!
++ Anyone here?
+++ Stopped when in the area.
++++ As needed and friendly.
+++++ Invisibly perfect!

Overall
✦ “One visit too many!”
✦✦ “Convince me!”
✦✦✦ “I’ll be back!”
✦✦✦✦ “Same table next week!”

No comments: